Skip to main content

bABA

Hard Work Pays (1)

Babe Ruth said it's hard to beat a person who never gives up. Alafia
Gbadebo, a young entrepreneur who started making millions at age 21,
the founder of Strands Event Company, shares how it all
started.(Culled from Daily Independent Newspaper)
"I started off with a trade fair when I was still a student at UNILAG.
That was seven years ago. I realised that immediately schools resume,
students go to different places to get their school needs. If you want
clothes, you go to Yaba; if you want a laptop, you go to the Computer
Village in Ikeja; if you want electronics for your room, you go to
Alaba market, in Lagos. I thought instead of students going all around
Lagos buying things, why couldn't the companies bring their products
to the school and be in one place within the school. Also, I know that
students do not have high purchasing power; so, when I was to start,
the aim was that exhibitors should sell their wares and services to
students at low prices or at discounted rates. That way, students can
buy their needs in one place and at cheaper prices. Also, I knew that
there are many companies that have promos that are targeted at the
youth. The best place to get their target market is the school. So,
the fair was borne out of necessity. It is an avenue for both buyers
and sellers to meet. That was how we started the first students' trade
fair in 2006."
He said being independent motivated him. He continued, "What has
always motivated me is that fact that I want to be independent. When I
was in Year One, I started by selling recharge cards. It was a new
business then, and I carved a niche for myself.
I would tell people that they don't need to come to me to buy credit;
they should just send me a text and I would send them the credit and
get my money later. That was how I sold cards to a lot of students in
UNILAG. I have always been an enterprising person. I had always known
that I would not work for anyone. So, when I was planning to start the
fair, I did not have money, but I started by making friends. I knew I
would need to go out a lot to get exhibitors. So, I made friends with
people that had cars, and students that are from wealthy background
that I could get money from.
I knew I would need people who are purpose-driven like me; so, I made
friends with people like myself. I had all these partners who helped
make the first fair a success.
Though, we did not make money at first, we knew we had a sellingbrand."
To be continued......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 23 In Pidgin Version

Finally the new NIGERIA PIDGIN ENGLISH BIBLE is out. one of the popular chapter is psalm 23, which reads : 1. The Lord na my shepherd, i dey kampe... 2. E make me sidon for where betta dey flow and come put me next to stream make mai bodi thermacool... 3. E panel beat mai soul come spray am white, come dey lead me dey go through express road of righteousness sake of Him name. 4. Walahi!, if I waka pass where arm robber, 419 and juju people boku, come even join boko haram reach valley of the shadow of death sef,mai bodi dey inside cloth. Your rod and staff nko ? Na so dem dey like back bone dey comfort me. 5. You don prepare good foodon top d table make I chop. All mai enemies dey look waa waa. You rub me for head wit vaseline intensive lotion. mai cup na River Niger wey overflow hin bank. 6. True true, betta life and mercy go gum mai back till I quench. And man pikin go tanda for God house from lai lai to lai lai. GOD ALMIGTHY NA YOU BIKO AMEN. ‪#copied

Admission Admission Admission!!!!

Kabba college of Agriculture Ahmadu Bello university/Division of Agricultural colleges. Km 2 Ilorin Road,Kabba, Kogi state  Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for Admission into the Higher National Diploma (HND), National Diploma (ND), Preliminary National Diploma (Pre-ND) and Certificate Course in the following Programmes:-  HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA PROGAMMES Higher National Diploma Agricultural Extension and Management Higher National Diploma Crop Protection Technology Higher National Diploma Horticulture and Landscape Technology All Candidates seeking Admission into any of our Higher National Diploma Programs must possess certificate in National Diploma in Agricultural Technology, Agricultural Engineering Technology, Animal Health and Production, Home and Rural Economics or relevant NCE qualifications from recognized institutions NATIONAL DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES National Diploma Agricultural Technology National Diploma Horticulture Technology Entry requirements in